The Gemini Companies (Gemini) has shared insights from a recent event the company hosted in Chicago, featuring users of Managed Account Platforms (MAP).
The panel, “Right-Sizing Managed Account Platforms for Institutional Investors,” was moderated by Susan Barreto, Editor at Large for HFM Global.
This panel featured perspectives from Anthony Festa, Managing Principal/Head of Portfolio Strategy, Fund Evaluation Group, LLC; Jacob Walthour, CEO, Blueprint Capital Advisors; John Fidler, Senior VP and Director of Alternative Investments, Commonwealth Bank & Trust Company; and Jon Reiners, SVP Institutional Sales, Gemini—Solutions for Managed Account Platforms.
During the panel conversation, it was noted that the managed account industry currently has $112B* in assets as of Q1 2018. As a result of this growth in the industry, Barreto probed the members of the panel on:
- The landscape of managed accounts and how the industry has evolved.
- How managed accounts can be assimilated into a well-diversified portfolio, and the benefits to end asset owners and managers.
- The optimal investors who are suited for a managed account structure based on the size of their assets.
- The common misconceptions of using managed accounts, their future, and the continued benefits for end investors.
Walthour commented, “For our clients, the cost-effectiveness of a MAP for their portfolio construction needs make the decision easy on their end. Many of the end users have boards and other oversight groups who are focused on providing value to their end investors/clients.”
Other benefits of a managed account platform revealed during the event, intended to help pensions, consultants, endowments, family offices, and OCIOs, included:
- Access to managers at lower minimums than would be required of a direct relationship.
- Better liquidity terms than are typical of a direct relationship.
- Full transparency (trade-level data).
- Guideline monitoring provided by a third party.
- Convenience—Electronic subscription, ease of allocation changes, single K-1, and single sub-doc.
Fidler added, “In an environment driven by investors and their need for data-driven insights, transparency is a key motivator for putting their investment strategy into a MAP structure.”
To Learn More: